Angus Looks To Celebrate Great Teachers
February 5th, 2013 - 4:30pm
Do you know someone who has given exceptional service to education? Nominations are now being accepted for the 2013 Prime Minister’s Awards for Teaching Excellence and Excellence in Early Childhood Education. Charlie Angus says there are educators across the north who deserve recognition.
“We all remember at least one teacher who stands out in our memories. Someone who encouraged, enabled and inspired us to do our very best. Teachers play a tremendous role in the academic achievement of students, but also in the skills, attitudes and abilities they carry with them beyond the classroom.”
The Prime Minister's Awards (PMA) for Teaching Excellence honour outstanding and innovative elementary and secondary school teachers in all disciplines who instill in their students a love of learning and who utilize information and communications technologies (ICT) to better equip their students with the knowledge and skills needed to excel in a 21st century society and economy.
- Nominees must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents.
- Nominees must be certified to teach in a public or private school in a Canadian province/territory (a copy of original teaching certification must be provided).
- Nominees should teach full-time in a Canadian school at the elementary or secondary level. Part-time teachers may be nominated, provided they teach the equivalent of 2.5 days a week in a classroom setting (or as defined by provincial/territorial guidelines).
- Nominees must have taught in a Canadian school for at least three years.
- A nominee’s teaching certification must be in good standing with the provincial/territorial governing body (proof of teaching certification status is required — letter from province/territory orCollegeofTeachersis accepted).
Winners can receive financial awards up to $5000 and will be honoured by the Prime Minister. Financial awards are shared between the educator and the facility. Deadline to nominate an educator is March 31st.
Nomination guidelines are available at www.pma.gc.ca, by sending an email to email@example.com, or by calling 613-946-0651.