FUNDING OPPORTUNITY FOR SENIORS ORGANIZATIONS IN TIMMINS-JAMES BAY
June 13th, 2018 - 11:21am
Charlie Angus is encouraging groups to apply for the New Horizons for Seniors Program. The NHSP is a federal grants and contributions program that supports projects designed by and for seniors to make a difference within their communities. Through the NHSP, the Government of Canada encourages seniors to share their knowledge, skills and experiences to the benefit of others.
Angus says organizations can get up to $25,000. “The program has been a huge success for groups looking to upgrade their facilities or put in place programs geared towards seniors.”
New this year, a small grant initiative of $5,000 has been launched to support projects proposed by organizations that have not received funding in the last 5 years.
““We have excellent organizations that do great work with seniors but we know they are always cash-strapped. They often don't have the money to expand services or fix up buildings. This fund can help greatly.”
Community-based projects are eligible to receive up to $25,000 per year per organization in grant funding and must address one or more of the program's five objectives:
· promoting volunteerism among seniors and other generations;
· engaging seniors in the community through the mentoring of others;
· expanding awareness of elder abuse, including financial abuse;
· supporting the social participation and inclusion of seniors; and
· providing capital assistance for new and existing community projects and/or programs for seniors.
The deadline for submissions is Friday, June 22, 2018.